Here's another update on Emma's speech therapy. She had her last session with the fill-in therapist on Monday and started back Wednesday with the regular one. L was really excited about all the progress Emma has made since October. She said she could tell definite improvement. We went through the goals we had established in August and were able to check off a few, as well as write new ones. As Emma is maturing, she wants to read more books and has more attention span to sit and listen, as well as practice saying words. Before nap and bedtime we have been going through alphabet letter books. Each book as four pictures and words that begin with a letter. One of the main goals from the start has been to get Emma to master the beginning sounds. That's where her language was stalled. She is much more willing to imitate words and can get all the syllables of complex words, even if the sounds aren't quite right. She is also starting to put together a few two and three word phrases. She's very animated when she talks and talks fast, so a lot of time her full sentences are still a lot of babble, but we aren't worried or focused on that right now. This is going to be a process. L also said she's always thought Emma's prognosis was good because she's so smart. Emma still leaves off the end of many words, so now we're working on saying the endings of the words. Speech progresses through mastering beginning, middle and ending sounds. She is also getting better at her vowel sounds. A lot of the therapy has been play-based. That's how it starts with kids this age. We also do listening exercises and are starting to do more drill-type therapy. It was neat to watch her go through the drills with L and see her do so well. I feel really good about how things are going and where she's at right now. As her birthday approaches, we'll have a transition meeting to determine what we'll do when she turns three, but I've already started looking into our options. For now, we'll continue as we have been. She's such a smart, happy and curious little girl. We're so thankful for that.
In baby news, there is really nothing too exciting to report at this time. I had an appointment Tuesday. Blood pressure and heart rate were normal. The girls were with me. Mackenzie commented to the doctor that my appointments were always so short. Dr. H said that's because my babies haven't had any problems. We are thankful for that too! We go back again on Tuesday. My doctor mentioned the baby might come early, but probably not before the end of the month. I am hoping to wait until February. Best laid plans though, right?! :) We stopped by the birthing center and they had my paperwork so we're all set there. I got my little card that tells me what to pack. I guess maybe I should do that too.
In baby news, there is really nothing too exciting to report at this time. I had an appointment Tuesday. Blood pressure and heart rate were normal. The girls were with me. Mackenzie commented to the doctor that my appointments were always so short. Dr. H said that's because my babies haven't had any problems. We are thankful for that too! We go back again on Tuesday. My doctor mentioned the baby might come early, but probably not before the end of the month. I am hoping to wait until February. Best laid plans though, right?! :) We stopped by the birthing center and they had my paperwork so we're all set there. I got my little card that tells me what to pack. I guess maybe I should do that too.
No comments:
Post a Comment