



Our little guy and his little blue cast. Much, much better.
So, here's the story:
Thursday night I had Little J on the changing table getting ready for bed; it was about 9 p.m. Emma needed help in the bathroom so I told MJ to watch him while I helped E. On my way back, Josh needed something so I got distracted helping him. As I walked back into the bedroom I saw E pulling J off the dresser. She pulled the whole cushion off with him.
I scooped him up as fast as I could because he hadn't started crying yet and I thought maybe he was okay. Then, he did get really upset. I finally got him calmed down and he was able to eat, but when I moved him he started screaming again. Talk about mommy guilt. I felt awful. I couldn't get him calm again and it seemed like he was in pain, although he had no marks and I knew he didn't hit his head. So I told Josh I was going to take him in. He stayed with the girls and got them to bed. I called my friend Dawn on the way and she called our other friends. She and Christi met me at the ER.
It seemed like forever to get checked in, but finally the nurse called us back. When she took him out of his seat to weigh him he started crying again and we thought it might be a leg. Once the doctor came in and he was out of his seat and lying on the bed, we realized he wasn't moving his right leg at all, it was pretty limp. The doctor checked everything else out then we waited for x-rays. Again, it seemed like forever.
By this time, I was starting to feel ill. My girlfriends thought it might have been the adrenaline letdown, but when I was back with him for x-rays (a horrible ordeal to have put my baby through) I ended up getting sick. I ended getting sick five or six times while we were there. It was awful. Sidenote: E had gotten sick one time on Wednesday night, but I didn't think much of it. Little did I know this was only the beginning.
When the x-rays came back, it showed he had broken his femur bone right about the patella, but fortunately it wasn't displaced. They put a splint on it and gave us the number for the orthopedic doctor to call on Friday morning.
My friends got me home as I was too sick to drive. It was 3 a.m. when we walked in the door. J had been able to eat and sleep while at the hospital and after the splint was on and he had some Tylenol he didn't fuss at all. We were able to get some sleep when we got home.
The next day I called Carla to see if she could come get the girls as I was still feeling bad. I called the doctor's office and they said they wanted to see us first thing Monday morning to put the cast on. This would give time for the swelling to go down otherwise the cast might end up too loose.
MJ got sick once that morning and later we found out she had gotten sick in the night too. But, then she felt fine. J and I stayed in bed all day. That afternoon is when he started getting sick. I felt so bad for him.
Saturday was a much better day for both of us. I finally felt like myself when I woke up. I have never been so sick. Really, never. That was the worst and fastest moving bug ever. It finally hit Josh Sunday. Poor guy. I guess this has been going around the community a lot lately.
Monday morning we went in to the doctor and J received his little blue cast. The doctor said little ones heal really fast. We'll go back in three weeks to take it off and re-x-ray it.
We're all feeling back to normal and Jayten doesn't seem to mind at all. He still wakes up happy, talks and smiles and stills kick a lot.
Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers on our behalf this past weekend. Even though I was an emotional and physical wreck at times, I also felt at peace knowing we were surrounded by people who cared about us and that ultimately God is in control of all of this. We are so thankful that he didn't have a worse injury too. Praises for that! Josh and I both admitted we probably move too fast through this world and need to stop and pay attention more and not sweat the little things, like toothbrushes and paper jams!
4 comments:
Been there done that with the Mommy guily. Accidents happen and now you'll have a story to tell...How MJ helped brake J's leg :)
Oh wow! That was an awful ordeal. My thoughts are with you!
Oh my goodness! You poor thing. I'm so sorry you have been through all of this! I hope you all are doing well. Take care of yourselves!
Oh no! Poor you and poor little guy! How awful to be hit with a stomach virus in the midst of the broken leg! So glad he is better now. My pediatrician raised 5 kids and he says, "If you've got kids in the house, accidents are going to happen." Thinking about that always makes me feel better that if even a pediatrician's kids get hurt, then maybe I'm not a terrible mom when mine do!
Post a Comment