Friday, March 14, 2008

Potty practice

Before Christmas I took MJ's little potty chair out of the closet so Emma could get used to seeing it in the bathroom and maybe spark some interest in potty training. I still have a hard time believing she's almost two and it's time to start thinking about this stuff though. Lately, she's been sitting on it before bathtime. She thinks it's pretty neat and she likes to take toilet paper too. Today, at lunchtime, Mackenzie was using the toilet so I asked Emma if she wanted to try. I took her diaper off and she sat there on the little potty while MJ was on the big one. I went to get the camera to get a few pics for the scrapbook. When I came back she had stood up and MJ said she'd gone potty! I was so excited. We clapped for her and said good job. Then, she got excited and clapped too. I helped her dump it in the big toilet then wash her hands. While, I've almost been content to just not even worry about it, this is a positive step. Now I'm not ready to put her in pull-ups yet, but I'll ask her if she wants to try and if she does great. Having her in diapers is probably easier because I don't have to be consistent with asking and messing with the whole potty training thing yet. I think it helps having a big sister. Emma wants to do everything MJ does. So, who knows where this will lead. I'm not in any hurry, but I had to share this first step she took today! 

No comments: