Thursday, March 6, 2008

Last swim lesson and lessons for Mom














Mackenzie had her last swimming lesson on Feb. 29. I was a little bummed that the last day they just played and I didn't get any more pictures of her floating or trying to swim, but here are some nonetheless. And she did have lots of fun playing around. One of the days was safety day, so she'd been telling me what she learned, like not to go where you can't touch. Josh came to watch her again, which she was excited about. She latched on to this noodle and just kept floating and swimming about. We girls stayed after class and did family swim again so Emma could be in the water. Again, she had a really good time. We even went into the big pool because MJ could use her noodle to stay afloat. It was much easier on my legs than having to crouch in the baby pool! Mackenzie passed her class and will move onto Level B. She's been in Level A the last two sessions, which was just what she needed. I think next time, she'll have grown  more and her body will be ready for moving her arms the right way and kicking. She's still pretty little to try to get everything coordinated all the time. I was just glad she showed progress through the weeks and had fun. Plus she's learning the respect the water. It was neat to see how much she had grown since last year's class.

Sometimes I get a little excited thinking about if she's learning enough, fast enough, will she be ready for school?, etc. I worry about if I've taught her enough, given her enough opportunities. Then I step back and think, okay, she's only 4. She is learning things at her own pace. She never ceases to surprise me with what she's picking up on without me sitting down trying to get to read and write every day. In fact, just the other day, she started making her "Ks" in her name the right way. She had been having a hard time with it, but it just clicked and she got it. Now, she's more excited to write her name, and it's a long one! All the letters seem to be getting better too. I just want her to enjoy her childhood, learn self control and good manners, and how to think about others more than herself. So, as I reflect on her finishing this swim session, I can also relax a little too. She's doing fine.

No comments: