Monday, June 22, 2009

Weekend happenings

Update: Well, I started writing this post on Monday and here it is Thursday already!

Last Friday and Saturday I had a garage sale here at the house. I had been storing stuff since our move last summer and finally felt I had time to get things organized. I had most of it already out in the garage from the previous weekend, so the main thing I had to do was price stuff. I stayed up late Thursday night getting everything set. Josh had been giving me a hard time about it, but I told him I was going to put forth as much effort as I could and if it didn't work out I wouldn't do another one. I put out signs and even ran an ad in the paper. We live about six miles from town and I knew some folks would think it was too far out. Why is it that people think it is farther and takes longer to drive out here than it does for me to have to drive into town?

Anyway, I got up early Friday morning. I felt well prepared and even opened early. The first customers showed up and things were moving along. I checked them out and in the meantime a few others had stopped by. A short while later the first ladies came back. I had overcharged them! Oh my, I was so embarrassed. That did little for my confidence in being able to handle a garage sale on my own. I think there is something pressuring about having to do simple math while someone is standing there staring at you. Luckily, they were understanding and we exchanged the right amount and they were on their way. I was also feeling a little harried as my girls were running around in their pjs still, Josh was on a tractor and couldn't help me and people were giving me $20 bills! Who brings a $20 to a garage sale? I was running out of change. After the first bit of craziness things slowed down (they never were really busy), I felt better. The girls were going to go to a sitter, but instead J took E to town with him and I decided I could in fact handle kids and strangers rummaging through my garage at the same time. At one point Josh was asking if anyone had bought anything and when he found out that in fact, yes, people had purchased our stuff, he went back in the house and brought me more stuff! It was great; he went through all his clothes, books and closets. Not all of it sold, but it's out of the house and sorted into trash, donate, recycle and a few of the really nice clothes are going to another garage sale in town that my friend is having. Overall it was a successful weekend.

Katrina came over Friday night and took the girls with her, then Zeke came back Saturday to help Josh with the yard. When he did MJ wanted to come home, so she and I ran to Wal-mart to get stuff for Father's Day. She spent a lot of time hanging out with Zeke too and we all played the Wii.

For Father's Day, I made Josh an omelet (something I don't do very often) and we had picked up donuts for breakfast. We had ultimate nachos for dinner and I made him a strawberry shortcut cake. Both his requests. I think he enjoyed his Father's Day. He watched the race and just got to hang out most of the day.

He had heard about a book on the radio, Championship Fathering, and mentioned it to me. I thought I was being all sneaky and ordered it for him. Well, it said it wouldn't mail for two days so I didn't think about it. Then, one day at lunch he came holding a package and asked, "Is this for me?" with this sheepish grin on his face. I was so bummed I didn't get to surprise him, but he was pleased.

This week we've just been hanging out and running around. E had school and MJ enjoyed a second day of Art Camp. She went last week too. They learned different techniques and came home with lots of different paintings. This weekend I am hosting a baby shower for my SIL, so I've been getting ready for that. Looking forward to it.

Still have more stories and photos to get up soon. Next week should be much slower.

No comments: