Friday, May 8, 2009

Emma's First Day of Preschool







Emma had her first day of preschool on Wednesday. I gave her my old backpack to use because you can't really find backpacks at the end of the school year. It is almost as big as she is! We had to be to school at 8:10, meaning we needed to leave by 7:30. Mind you this is what time the girls are usually waking up, so this was going to be interesting. We did make it out of the house by then and I realized we were probably going to be quite early. Then I almost got all the way down our rode and realized I had forgotten her paperwork. Oops! So, back we go. By then I'm thinking okay now we're going to be late. Good thing I only have to do this twice a week right now! So, we did make it on time and thank goodness the preschool is pretty relaxed anyway. Her teacher helped her find a place for her jacket and bag, then she got to move her name on the board that showed she was in school. She started to get a little upset so her teacher said I could stay and finish the paperwork. MJ and E did puzzles. By the time I was finished E was ready to move onto the reading center and didn't even notice me. It didn't really bother me to leave her. I knew she'd be taken care of. But picking her up-that was a different story. I pulled up in front of the school and the teachers walk the preschoolers and kindergarteners out to the front every day. I saw her coming out, bright yellow jacket, backpack on, holding her little green paper that said she'd had a great day. She looked so little. That's when I teared up! But, she did have a great day and she told me they painted and sang songs. 

The next day she showed me her picture she had painted. It was a grey whale. She got really upset when I was leaving and I had to leave her crying in the classroom. That was hard. I remember MJ being at this stage (not wanting me to leave her anywhere) and it happened after E was born. I had mixed emotions. I felt bad leaving her for the teacher to deal with plus sad that I was leaving her. She is just barely three years old. But, I know she is in capable hands at the school. And I also know she stops crying right after I leave and has a good day. The teacher said she did do great on Thursday as well. When we got home, she was excited to open her backpack and showed me her green paper and and a book she had made. She glued a wagon on the front and picked out different pictures to glue in it. Then she colored inside. They traced her hand on the back. 

The one thing that has been a little hard is trying to figure out what all she does during the day. Since expressive communication is still a struggle (the whole reason for school right now in the first place), it's kind of a guessing game about what she did. The teacher tells me she had a great day, but we don't really go through everything in detail. I'm going to have to figure out a way to find out more from the teachers, maybe when I drop her off or something. 

We are happy about her being in school though. It will be good for her in many ways. She had her 3-year well child check this morning. She weighs 28.5 lbs. and is 34 inches tall. Her pediatrician said everything looks great. He tells me I have boring kids-medically speaking-no real sicknesses or problems. I take it as a compliment and that's how he means it. We are so thankful for that. I literally thank God every day for my healthy children. The dr. thought our plan for preschool this summer was a great idea too and he could tell she was making a lot of progress. He said that looking back when we were first discussing if she had a problem or not, he was really glad we decided to pursue early intervention. Not that she wouldn't have maybe gotten it eventually, but this early help has made such a difference. 


No comments: