Thursday, April 2, 2009

Recipes


Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread (from Simple and Delicious magazine with a few modifications)
You know I can't follow a recipe exactly?
I tried this recipe last night. It was really good.

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed

Combine cheese in seasonings in one bowl. Melt butter and add garlic in another bowl. Tear dough into 16 pieces (don't know why it's 16, but I did that) and roll into balls. Dip in butter mixture, then roll in seasonings. I put mine in a bundt pan because that's what I had. (They used a loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled or for an hour. (I didn't have time for this step, but it turned out fine.) Bake at 350 degrees for 22-26 minutes. 



Swiss Steak (I made this recipe up and have made it for years. It's very simple.)

Package swiss steak or round steak (we have our meat butchered so they give us a cut called Swiss Steak, but round will work too. Usually 1-2 lbs.)
1-2 cans stewed tomatoes (sometimes I use Italian style with garlic and oregano because that's what they have at Costco)
2-3 bell peppers (green, red, orange and/or yellow) cut into chunks
1/2 red or white onion, cut into chunks. 

Season meat with meat tenderizer, salt, pepper and Worchestershire sauce. Add tomatoes, peppers and onions. I cook it in a crockpot on low, 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. 

Serve over rice. 

Variation-Stewed Chicken 

Cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a TB of oil in skillet. Remove from pan, cut into chunks (I find it easier to cut cooked chicken up and it's not so icky.)
Put chicken back in skillet, add stewed tomatoes, peppers, onions. Simmer 20 minutes. Serve over rice. 

Simple ingredients, easy preparation, great taste!

No comments: