Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Home Videos

Last Friday evening, MJ asked to watch a movie after dinner. Sometimes I let the girls stay up later on a weekend night and we watch a family movie. Because it was Easter weekend and we had spent the day playing games, reading and doing our Resurrection Eggs in celebration of Good Friday, I decided we would watch home videos instead. Plus, I had about five tapes sitting on my desk and a few weren't written on. It gave us a chance to reminisce. Oh my how we laughed. Josh even came in and watched with us. We started out with one from just about 4 months ago that included Christmas. We also went back and watched some from when E was about 10 months old. She was starting to walk and babble a lot. MJ was around 3 1/2. Then today I put one in from when E was born. MJ was 2. I came away with a few observations. 

1) I am so glad I decided to go back and watch these with the girls. I had done this once before when MJ was younger. Maybe even before I was pregnant with E. I remember she loved watching herself on the TV. E has started asking to watch herself on TV now too. How fun to go back and watch then share other memories with the girls. 

1a) I wasn't as behind in labeling the tapes as I thought either, just two of them needed to be figured out. Yeah for me! 

2) I have not videoed J nearly enough! When E was born, I think I must have taped her every day. And for every video, I have photos to go with it. Thinking back, I remember not wanting to miss anything about her as a newborn because it went so fast. Now I have a ton of photos of J, but he's already 10 weeks old! I'm going to have to do better. Of course, I don't want to miss anything with him, but I don't seem to have the time like I did before.

3) Managing three children is more difficult than 2, but definitely worth it. This is probably the reason for No. 2.

4) MJ was such a crack-up when she was younger. I think part of what made things she said so funny was the fact that she was so young to be saying them. She said such grown-up things. 

5) E's speech has developed so much even from just a few months ago. 

6) Whenever I'm videoing the kids or an event I always think, when will we ever go back and watch these? But, oh I am soooooo very thankful we have them. And I do think we'll go back and watch them more, especially as the kids get older.  

7) I do not like my recorded voice. Never have, probably never will. 

8) I talk a lot on the videos; sometimes probably too much, but I want to make sure I document what's happening, in case it's not obvious.

9) The camera (or at least mine, does add 10 lbs. or more) Just another reason to stay behind the lens. 

10) Our home videos will never win any awards for best picture, but they certainly are wonderful memories for our family. Oh and great material to pull out to show the girls when they are about 15 or so....

I can still remember a video of me line dancing to "Boot Scootin' Boogie" by Brooks and Dunn. I'm not quite sure how old I was, maybe middle school-at an age where I kind of thought I was cool to be dancing like that, yet also thinking, "Oh my gosh, is this going to come back to haunt me someday?"I always feared that video would surface some day to embarrass me, but luckily it has remained tucked away somewhere in my parents house. Let's hope no one gets any ideas. :)

1 comment:

It Feels Like Chaos said...

You are so right, it is fun to have those videos! My kids love watching theirs, too. I need to do more video!