Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's December already!?

I am in denial that the calender is reading December right now. I just don't want to believe it! There are just way too many things that I need finish in the next 30 days!!

Hope you all enjoyed the holiday. We had a very nice non-traditional meal on Thanksgiving. Josh decided he wanted to do a "Wingfest." He seems to be some sort of collector of wing sauces so we tried them out. He marinated some in Sweet Baby Ray's wing sauce, then put them on the grill. I roasted some in the oven and put Franks Sweet BBQ Sauce on them. Both distinctly different flavors, but both good. I also cooked some chicken and put Winger's sauce on it. It was a birthday present from my son. Isn't he sweet?-at such a young age he already knows I love Winger's sauce. :) Josh's mom and brothers joined us for the day. We also had a couple salads, party potatoes and five kinds of cookies. We asked everyone to bring their favorite cookie. We had Oreos, Chocolate No Bake, Peanut Butter Cornflake, Oatmeal Toffee and Monster cookies. Yum! It was a great meal and a nice day with family. We all sat down at the table together and instead of a turkey as our centerpiece, it was a big plate of wings! Of course there was football to watch and naps to take. The guys went out hunting for awhile too.

MJ had voiced a little concern the night before about missing our traditional food items, so I had to remind her that Thanksgiving isn't about the food we eat, but giving thanks for all our blessings and being able to share with our family. But, I do admit, I was starting to kind of miss the mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli cheese and rice casserole, apple pie, etc. that we usually have. However, the night before the big day, Josh and I were in the kitchen together, preparing things. He even volunteered to cut up the chicken-thank you honey-not a fun job. He also whipped up the batch of Monster cookies. It was a great way to spend an evening together and for that I am thankful. And I literally thank God for all his has provided us. I have a healthy family, great friends, work I love, plenty to eat and a warm home. And despite little struggles-and we definitely still have our daily struggles-life is comfortable for us right now. I am quite aware it is not the case for so many people. I have been thinking a lot about what we can do to give back this holiday season. I also want to instill a sense of gratitude and of giving in my children. I am excited to share this upcoming season with them and see how we can share our blessings with others.

No comments: