Monday, September 14, 2009

Mackenzie's Bag


Here she is modeling her newest creation.


She was really getting into it.





As I mentioned in an earlier post, MJ and I started a new sewing project. Josh had wanted to find some fabric for me to make Little J a blanket so we found that then he suggested I get the girls some too. I thought a bag might make a nice second project for us to try. I'm not really big on following recipes; I find them merely a suggestion. Same goes for patterns, well at least in this case. When I was growing up and sewing in 4-H, I definitely followed a pattern, but these days I just felt I could wing it. Plus, I wasn't sure exactly what kind of bag I wanted to make so I didn't want to be limited to a pattern. I did look at a few, but wasn't convinced by any of them. I'm not sure flannel was really the best fabric for the job, but it's cute, it was on sale, it's soft and so far it's holding up well.

I did look online at some different blogs and searched bag patterns, but for the most part I just kept imaging in my head what I wanted it to look like and worked it through that way. I took a suggestion for size off a blog and started with that. I knew I wanted to line the bag and put pockets in it. MJ did most of the straight sewing (side seams, top hem, etc.) and learned to safely use an iron. She thought that was really cool. Now I don't claim to be any kind of expert in the sewing department, but I am pretty excited with how it turned out. And it was a fun bonding activity for us. I look forward to more of them. Now the key will be if I can re-create this bag again. :)

Emma picked out a monkey pattern (imagine that). Not quite sure if I'm going to make it into a bag or a blanket.

No comments: