Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Turning 5

It's happening again. Another milestone in my child's life. MJ turns 5 tomorrow. I guess it seems a bigger deal than 4, not that each birthday isn't special, but this year she's in school and this age signifies that time when kids take that next step. She's very excited too, of course. She gets to take treats to school today. She picked out sugar cookies with bright pink frosting and sprinkles. What fun!

As I reflect on the last five years, it's so hard to believe how much has happened. She was born on a Friday. I remember going in for an appointment after my due date and my doctor asked, "Are you ready to have a baby?" and with that, I took a little pill to start contractions. And later that evening, a beautiful baby girl was handed to us. Our gift from God to love and protect and laugh with and cry over. I was looking at pictures of her when she was three the other day, and I can hardly remember what she was like then. I'm so thankful I have the pictures though. I look at her now and how much she's growing, changing, turning into a little lady and not a child. These days are fleeting and I just pray I take the time to enjoy them.

No comments: