Sunday, September 11, 2011

We will not forget...

It is hard to believe today marks 10 years since 9/11. I remember my sister and I were getting ready for class. I was a senior at K-State and she was going to school there too, and we lived in a little apartment not far from campus with a girl, Maury, who we went to church with at St. Isidore's. We had the tv on in our bedroom. I went in there to see the second plane fly into the towers. It was so surreal. I kept thinking it was a movie. It just didn't make sense. I couldn't believe this was happening right then in our country. I remember sitting in Food Science class and everyone was talking about it. I went to St. Isidore's at some point during the day to prayer. I kept wondering if this was the beginning of World War III. I'm sure I called Josh and my parents. I was just in complete shock. I turned to my faith and my God more than ever before. I knew He was in charge and whatever was to come, He would be there with us. It was such a time of uncertainty, yet you could see some blessings from it, the heroes of the day, weeks and months to come who gave their lives for others. No matter how much time passes though, we will never forget that day.

"For me and my family personally, Sept. 11 was a reminder that life is fleeting, impermanent, and uncertain. Therefore, we must make use of every moment and nurture it with affection, tenderness, beauty, creativity and laughter."
- Chopra, M.D.

No comments: